Sunday 22 June 2008

hardly birdman eating!!!

Ok ... this has been a weekend of baccalanian indulgement ... totally unplanned ... we have managed to eat our way through 3 delightful meals ... all new discoveries in one form or another.


I have had the pleasure of having a great cup of coffee at this joint previously ... this time round M and I had the pleasure of sampling their breakfast menu ... and never more pleasurable a task could have been devised (sorry .. glut of sunday night Austen viewing!!)


Our main reason for traipsing down to Gertrude Street (like you even need a reason) was for me to show M the light fixture that took my breath away when I first saw it in "three quarters" ... M was abosolutely blown away ... having been put into such a good mood, what better way to soothe the hungry beast of envy and lust then with something warm and delicious.
 
Having laughed at Clement now being called Clemente!!, and browsing through the title and film music bookstore, we made our way to Birdman Eating which is one of those melbourne breakfast haunts that you simply must check out!!!
 
 
Don't be intimidated by the "too cool for school" crowd, the staff here are friendly and unpretencious.
 
We ordered a decidedly old fashion late lunch of fried kippers with rocket and a horseradish sauce accompanied by 2 little nugget sizzed hash browns, and a serve of welsh rarebit.
 
The kippers were scrumptious when combined with the rocket and a slice of truly yummy toasted bread. On their own, they were a bit salty and I guess this type of smoked fish is not to everyone's liking. But in combination with all the other flavours, it really really worked. They do go in for more smoked fish in England. I wonder why that hasn't transferred out here to the "colonies"!! I love smoked fish, especially lightly smoked fish without the artificial colouring.
 
 
The Welsh rarebit so reminded me of home. I do believe it was one of the first things my mum taught me to make. I remember making this as an afternoon snack with el cheapo kraft cheddar - i had an almost proustian moment when I took my first bite.
 
 
After finishing our coffees we felt like a wine, so I went for a mornington pinot noir - Voice of the Vine - and M had a tuscan chianti. It was a great way to finish off a wonderful afternoon, and indeed a wonderful weekend all in all. I think we have found our replacement winery for Turra Murra. Can't wait to check them out at their next cellar door opening - http://www.voiceofthevine.com.au/Default.aspx
 
On the way back, we giggled at the window sized photos of chimpanzees lining the top half of the Builder's Arms .... it felt just like courtship!!!
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...