Saturday 3 May 2008

sur la piste de dance baby

Ok ... so I was having a trip down memory lane with the Two fat Ladies Season 2 dvd.

Jennifer and Clarissa cook dinner for the Gurkha regiment (well for the officers ... not the hardworking gurkhas ... but nevermind) in a tent behind the Officer's mess. And both are reminscing about Officers Balls and dancing and Jennifer pipes up in disdain about the modern state of dance describing it as thus:

"people shaking their fists at each other to something dismal by something electric"

I know she meant this perjoratively, but its the best descipription of dance music evah!!!

Loves it!!!


In other news, M had band practice for the better part of today, so i trundled off to my old haunt in Fitzroy. It was one of those lovely autumn days, slightly cool but bathed in warm sunshine ... I hit brunswick street ... walked up to Getrude ... down Smith onto Johnston and back again ...

I love Fitzroy, even though Brunswick Street is completely yuppified ... its still the best place to people watch ... especially for those painfully hip youth tribes ... you know the ones .. in their skinnies crowned with layer upon layer of asymmetrical fabric .... a trio of them beat me to the front at Nom'd and descended on the men's rack ... so I missed out on this one ...

If only I had tee'd up someone to share it with me ... but hey ho ... it was a spur of the moment thing for me.

My wallet breathed a sigh of relief at the end of it anyways, coz I was on the lookout for a light winter coat .. but nothing really caught my eye ... but I did breeze through Kleins and came away with a bottle of Diptyque cologne ... i needed a replacement as I am on my last few squirts of my current scent ...

Although M thinks my nasal passages are completely shot due to my nicotine habit, I still do appreciate body scents ... admittedly I am partial to the human body's natural smell (note natural smell ... not unwashed smell) when speaking of arousal (ok ... out on a limb here at the moment) ... a nice cologne does sometimes ignite those sluggish pheremones ...

I like discovering unknown colognes .. particularly spicy ones with a hint of musk ... and I'm desperately trying not to be elitist ... but department store scents just have that factory undertone ... and at the end of the day ... there's only one note of scent left and that note is stale ...

So next time you have a little extra in the kitty ... find yourself a Kleins store and chat to the staff there ... you'll find something uniquely you ... and more than likely two single squirts will last you through the day ... cigarettes and alcohol notwithstanding

I'm still sold on patchouli, sandalwood, cedarwood ... and anything mildly citric ... I remember trying something on that had a hint of tobacco and literally being transported on a wave of nostalgia to a time when my dad smoked a pipe and I use to sniff his empty tobacco tins ... I would have bought it too except I wasn't exactly cashed up at that point in time ...

G wears the L'Artisan Patchouli ... but it smells better on him than it does on me ... ALWAYS ALWAYS try it on your own skin ... then leave the store and do other things and then smell it again ... if you still like it and it hasn't changed your initial perception ... go back and buy it ... never never never impulse buy a cologne ... or worse, buy something just because it has a full page ad in your local fash rag ... or a billboard at the bus stop ... these things have to warm to your skin ... much like a pair of new jeans eventually softens against your legs natural creases ... 

On a final note ... I hope you've all read Patrick Suskind's Perfume ... if you are at all interested in scents then you must read this book immediately!!! (don't cheat and hire the movie ... although a good effort ... the pleasure in Suskind's writing is the passages leap off the page and make a direct hit on those olfactory cells ... it might as well be a scratch and sniff book ... I kid you not ... its that good!)

PS ... bumped into my old boss C today ... he runs a clothing label now ... and just opened an outlet on Gertrude ... to this day he still thinks M is called Gordon??
PPS ... please note I didn't mention the clothes ... nuff said

My other scent picks:

not to everyone's taste ... and a little pricier than the other commonly available designer perfumes ... M hates it ... and chicks really dig it



I believe this is actually a woman's scent ... but its just the right amount of citrus for me ... and this lasts well over 24 hrs


still one of my all time favs ... smells like an old fashioned barber shop ... and occasionally goes on special ... well worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...