Thursday 22 April 2010

Smashed!!

Ok ... and just further on the language tip ... why is the expression "smashed it" all over the place at the moment like blisters on a chickenpoxed child!!

For example - "you came out here and absolutely smashed it" or "you smashed it ... that was a beautiful dish"
(SSYTYCD & Masterchef respectively)

I looked it up on the Urban Dictionary site (mistake!) and apparently it means "when u do summet really cool/good" ... so by natural inference, it also means that you absolutely smashed it with grammar and spelling ... and by smashed I mean completely broken!!

Anyhoo, I'm not advocating some kind of nazi codified Standard English bullshit ... but I bet this comes from America via TV/Film/Gossip websites ... and that trully grates me ... yes I admit it ... I'm still a yank basher!! So if you want to go me over that (see I can do the yoof speak!!) then just STOP!


(ps ... for the astute amongst you, the pics from my last post and this one were taken on the same day - Office Christmas party 2009 - and I've been dying to use them in some way - spurious or otherwise)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...