Thursday 11 February 2010

"Tell the one who's lying with you ... to get right up ... and go back home"

Ok ... I was a big Eurythmics fan ... Huge!! ... They lost me a little with their american flirtations ... but they returned to their very British roots with the release of Savage - complete with long a vowel sounds ... this is kitchen sink drama writ large ... and for a bunch of queens just starting out on life this was the soundtrack to our "coming out" ...


We identified with the frustrated housewife shackled to the norms of suburban social mores; afraid of the reflection in the mirror and the harsh truths held within; yearning for some kind of animalistic release; wanting it so badly that we were willing to debase ourselves physically and mentally ... and none of us were even virgins ... though we didn't know it at the time.


 
I remember rolling on the floor of the bunk lip-synching to "I need a man" ... it was some kind of twisted revenge therapy for me ...


"I don't care if you won't talk to me
You know I'm not that kind of girl
I don't care if you won't walk with me
You don't give me such a thrill ...
Cause there's just one thing that I'm looking for
And he don't wear a dress!"
I need a Man

I remember pilfering the phrase "but you have used that weapon against me" and having that oil-slicked pugnacious goon spit chips in my face "You think you're so bloody clever!"

"You think you know just what you want
But you have used that weapon against me
Did I tell you I was lying by the way
When I said I wanted a new mink coat
I was just thinking about
something sleek
To wrap around my tender throat"
Beethoven (I Love to Listen To)

We were creatures, slightly damaged and painfully naive at times, but we understood the fine line between happiness and despair; pain and pleasure.

"I need you to really feel
The twist of my back breaking
I need someon to listen
To the ecstacy I'm faking"
I Need You
 

 
And years later, when I finally got a chance to see this band live, I was wracked with heaving sobs when Annie sang that final stanza from "You have placed a chill in my Heart":


"Love is a Temple
Love is a Shrine
Love is Pure
And Love is blind
Love is a religious sign
I'm going to leave this love behind,

Love is hot and Love is cold
I've been bought and I've been sold
Love is rock and Love is roll
I just want someone to hold"
You have placed a chill in my heart
 
I can say with some certainty that this is my favourite Eurythmics album. It encompasses all that is great about this band; a combination of studied electronic music and stadium rock bombast! Annie's voice is in fine form and that Dave Stewart guitar sound is luscious. Its an album bouyed by a level of artifice that is laced throughout with some very raw and painful honesty - if you need some kind of distraction at the moment, check these little vignettes on life, I guarantee you'll not only be humming the tunes, but you'll be drifting off into moments of subliminal contemplation.
 

 
"Words of Power are killing me

While the sun diplays it's teeth
All Mockery is laughing
All violence is cheap
She said
these are my guns
These are my furs
This is my living room
You can play with me there sometimes
if you catch me in the mood
Savage
You Savage

She said
I have this unhappiness
To wear around my neck
Its a pretty piece of jewellery
To show what I protect
She said
everything is fiction
All cynic to the bone
So don't ask me to stay with you
Don't ask to see me home
Savage
You Savage"
Savage
 
__________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________
 
Comments:
 
Temasek wrote:


Wow. Yes. Most Eurythmics afficianados adore the soundtrack to 1984, me included. Whats even more frustrating is that its unlikely that a remaster will ever see the light of day. I actually see the soundtrack as a study in rhythm and as a pre-cursor to the modern dance album as we know it now. But as I said, I am a fan.
12 Feb
 
Phoenix wrote:


I always thought Annie Lennox was cool. Recently I discovered the soundtrack album they did for Nineteen Eighty-Four but which was hardly used because, apparently, Richard Burton and John Hurt requested that the film's soundtrack feature more classical music. It's a really dark experimental "industrial" album. I wouldn't say that it was before its time exactly, but I don't think that casual Eurythmics fans would have liked it much back in the early 80s.
12 Feb

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...