Thursday 17 September 2009

East of Eden

Ok ... what a week indeed!!
 
For the last 6 days, the genteel suburb of East Melbourne has been my makeshift home, and the mixed roast platter from HK BBQ my solace before bed ...

 
I've seen some beautiful houses, with beautiful people and oh-so-endearing dogs; I've seen the footy crowds trudging off in fervent anticipation; wearing their team colours with pride and ecclesiasitical spirit; I walked the verdant paths of the Fitzroy gardens in both spring sun and rain, taking in the office and tourist crowds enjoying their well-earned lunch time constitutions, wondering and the sheer expanse of its environs; I've watched construction workers relishing the benefits of a unionized worksite, busily erecting apartments rumoured to start at an easy mill for a one bedroomer; I've watched in awe as nurses stride determinedly down antiseptic corridors, charts in hand, checking vital signs and doling out medication, some world weary and saturnine, some yong eager straight from the country, others seemingly urbane sounding like Prue and Trude (where on earth does that accent come from?) ... all of this, all of this through the fug of days and nights by my partner's bedside, numb from sheer panic and exhaustion, mundane bouts of routine peppered by stabs of pain and sometimes laughter ... my partner's hand oddly dry and pallid skin ... he has aged as many years as the days he has spent in this odd mad magazine of a hotel room, and perhaps I have as well, in fact I'm sure of it ... nothing really cheers me ... not even my partner's amazingly quick progress ... each day brings another little victory and a little less pain ... I want this over ... the days of caring have only just begun ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...